Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Offseason Ultimate

Still Perfect (2/3/14)

Ok, I'll admit it. The only real reason I'm blogging today is to boast about two things.
  1. Team Twaff(cic)le, which includes the likes of Inception-ers Hopp, House, Slow-mo, Stache, Seemon, Regular Joel and myself, just completed back-to-back undefeated seasons in the Mile High Ultimate A-League here in Denver! We ended up sealing the deal and taking the title in the fall, now we have to do the same in winter (next week). Plans are already solidified to bring the team back for Spring A-League. 3 PEAT!...?!? 
  2. And more importantly to my fellow Inception guys, I GOT MY TIM HOPP REPLICA JERSEY for my bday from the legend himself. Good gifting, sir. Hope you like old school GAIA...


In all seriousness, and in order to stay within the scope of this blog, off season ultimate on top of a consistent lifting regiment are what truly keep my game sharp come summer try-outs.

They have an event nearly every Friday here in Denver generally called the "Indoor Hat". You may have even seen the #chasingindoorhat tags on Twitter. Basically, it's an overnight indoor hat tournament that has really gained momentum as a good way to keep off the burrito belly in the off season. 
If you're not into windless throwing and stuffy soccer fields, there are also outdoor leagues around town throughout the winter, much like the one I bragged about above. Indeed, even in the cold, cold north - and recently eastern - states. If you love ultimate enough to play in rain, sleet, hail, snow, and frigid temps, I highly suggest going for it. If nothing else it will keep your throws sharper than constantly boosting your ego (pun intended) indoors. It also helps with my mental game. Whenever the inevitable crappy weather tournament comes around each Club season, I just tell myself "You've played in driving snow and ice. Rain is warmer than snow. You got this." Works like a charm.

The past few years I've gone in to a local CrossFit "box", aka gym, and maintained my fitness that way. Which is great, if you can afford it. CrossFit classes usually top out around $200/mo. Yes, that's month. Way beyond my realm of affordability. But all hope is not lost if you are ballin on a budget. Just keep your eyes on the Groupon/Livingsocial-type sites and you'll find bunches of CrossFit deals every week, and usually in the slow time of the year during the winter months you'll get even more off than in the summer. Perfect for off season training.

While I forwent the CrossFit route this year, I still incorporate the training methods I learned while doing CF the past two years in a row. Instead of an intimate, clustered LoDo CrossFit box, I elected to spend a mere $120 on a 30-punch card from the Glenarm Rec Center. I "made" House, Joel, Hopp, and Jamie purchase the same so none of us would have an excuse to lose motivation to work out. So far, it's worked like a charm. As an unexpected perk, it's pretty awesome/hilarious hearing the likes of Joel, Hopp and...ok me, too yell "GET IN THE GYM" when roofing fools on the field. 

Just some more ways I'm #chasingnats.

BOUGH

No comments:

Post a Comment